Sunday 11 October 2015

Welcome to my blog!

Hello!

My name is Kaitlin and this is my blog. I suppose this is a test post, as I haven't prepared any amazing insights into environmental change or anything like that. Instead, I'm looking to introduce this project and set the scene for what I aim to explore. 

As my blog name suggests, I'm interested in the idea of environmental change rendering Earth as uninhabitable, for humans and perhaps for other species. (Side note: why do 'inhabitable' and 'habitable' mean the same thing? And why isn't 'unhabitable a word? I genuinely feel I have an unnecessary amount of vowels in my URL because of this.) I recently watched the movie The Martian, and read some fascinating articles on Mars and the concept of colonising it, and gained a new appreciation for our own funny little planet that has just the right environment to sustain a whole plethora of life. I also feel constantly inundated by new information about how Earth is changing and affecting all of us on it. This is therefore a way for me to explore more about this topic and create a voice in the sea of opinions. 

I'm undertaking two modules that require me to blog and The Inhabitable Planet is for my module GEOG3057, Global Environmental Change! I'll be exploring the effects of environmental change on anything that could threaten the sustainability of life on Earth. Perhaps I'll focus on a particular area of interest after doing some research, but for now that's what I'm going with. 

That's about all I've got for the time being. It's a Sunday night so I'm going to test this blog post out and get to work on content! I'll be writing at least once a week so come back next week and see how I've kickstarted this project. 



P.S. This is Mars, a (currently) uninhabitable planet, looking a little scarily like Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment